Time and attendance systems are a good investment for small and medium sized businesses looking to grow, improve efficiency, and have more control over their workforce. To help you decide whether this type of software would be a good buy for you, below is a general price guide about what you might expect to pay for a time and attendance system. (This guide does not include apps.)
Hardware Price Guide
Traditionally time and attendance solutions have consisted of hardware only, where employees physically punch a card into a time clock machine and it records when they do so, to inform management. This is still a solution many businesses choose to utilise, however modern hardware is more often paired with accompanying software so information can be shared across multiple devices.
The range of time and attendance hardware on the market is wide, and to differentiate between products manufacturers tend to focus on functionality, and their emphasis is on ease of use.Below is a sample of the hardware available and their guideline prices:
- Biometric Direct offers the iClock660 Biometric & PIN time clock for £349. This fingerprint reader stores up to 30,000 users and 8,000 fingerprint templates, and has a 3.5" colour display.
- The U260 fingerprint terminal costs £450 from Egress Systems and is compatible with their Focus Pro or Focus Lite software. It is suitable for small businesses that have a clean working environment such as retailers, officer workers or carers. It can also be optionally connected with a Mifare RFID wireless proximity card reader, or enabled to require a PIN code, for back up or added verification. To get a good return on investment, it is ideal for companies with a maximum of 50 employees.
- Renowned specialists Chronologic offer a range of hardware:
- Their traditional Bundy timecard clock, suitable for small businesses, can be purchased for £99 and includes 250 punch-cards and a card rack with 25 card-sized spaces. Price excludes VAT but P&P is free.
- Their more modern biometric terminals come with slightly higher price tags, but far more features, giving great value for money. A uAttend Fingerprint Scanner (for use with uAttend software) can be purchased for around £149 for a wired version, or £219.00 for a wireless terminal, whilst their facial recognition terminals are £249, with the option to buy a wireless adaptor for £79.95.
Software Price Guide
Time and attendance software can vary greatly in terms of features, which subsequently affects the price, so you will need to consider which ones are most important for your business. For example, do you want a PC-based system or cloud-based software that can be accessed from anywhere on any device with an internet connection (meaning no specific new hardware is necessary)? Certain hardware will come with accompanying software and vice versa, so these choices will be made for you if you have chosen one part of your system.Some guideline time and attendance software prices are indicated below:
- Bodet offer a modular solution to time and attendance with their Kelio package, giving businesses the option to purchase only the specific functions they need of their software. This customer-centric model is typical of their business approach as they regularly tailor their solutions on a case by case basis, including the pricing, however a 4-module solution will typically cost you ~£300. Your chosen software modules can be hosted locally on your hardware devices, or with Kelio on Demand Express (SaaS) as a cloud-based solution- meaning it can be accessed 24/7 from any device with an internet connection.
- Wisegrove Ltd offers their ActIn Time Lite Junior software package from £295, which also includes facial recognition hardware. It is suitable for businesses employing up to 75 people, and has multi-site capability and a USB download facility in the event of network failure.
- Computime Direct's easy-to-use TimeVision software supports up to 25 users, 10 shifts and 3 rates of pay, and data can be exported to payroll packages including Sage. It is offered as part of the TimeVision Proximity Pack for £229.00 where a RFID proximity clocking terminal is also included as well as a choice of 25 cards or fobs. It can be upgraded to a 50 user version for an additional £100.
Find Out More
If you're interested in a time and attendance system for your business, Expert Market can help you find the best solution for you. Answer a few simple questions we'll conduct a tailored search to find the best and cheapest solutions for your business, then provide you with the most competitive price quotes for your area, with no obligation to buy.