This article will provide an overview of Mitel, one of the leading business communications providers globally and in the UK.
Below, we break down the Mitel product range and take you through some of the highlights, from IP desk phones to their Unified Communications software platforms, MiVoice Office and MiVoice Business.
|Reviewed by Expert Market:||19/08/2016|
Who Are Mitel?
Mitel are a global telecommunications company specialising in providing businesses with high-tech VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) software and hardware solutions.
With over 40 years experience in the business communications industry, Mitel is one of the worlds leading phone system providers and has an international reputation for innovative and high-quality products and services.
They also have one of the broadest product portfolios in the telecoms industry, with ranges of desktop business phones and software communication platforms meaning that they are one of the few phone manufacturers who can deliver entire end-to-end business comms solutions without relying on third-party products – be it desk phone hardware or the system infrastructure software – from other manufacturers.
Mitel products are often incorporated into the solutions specified by other leading service providers.
If you're researching new phone systems or hardware for your business and think Mitel products might ber part of the solution, fill out the form at the top of this page and Expert Market will contact you with bespoke deals from the UK’s leading suppliers.
Why Choose a Mitel Telephone System?
Mitel technologies are flexible and cost effective. Their systems are massively scaleable to thousands of users operating from multiple sites and other third party devices, and seamlessly integrate applications that can be added to tailor functionality.
Their call routing methods mean that connections are quicker and more reliable and Mitel VoIP services enable affordable connections from anywhere in the world.
Key Benefits of Mitel Phone Systems
- Freedom – Connect and communicate using one number, identity and software stream. Users can communicate from anywhere and choose commercial options to suit their needs
- Unified Communications and Collaboration – Combines multiple IT capabilities and enables efficient and improved approach to how people communicate
- Teleworking – Plug-in-and-work’ solutions for remote workers
- Mobility – Mobile staff can connect to the office through their mobile device which lowers mobile phone costs, and delivers a competitive advantage
- Business Telephones – Designed with individual users in mind and industry tailored to suit a wide range of applications, from hotel guest phones to financial institutions, and call centers
- Customer Interaction – Increased customer retention and acquisition
- Collaboration – Extends team working outside of the confines of the traditional office space, and enables audio and web conferencing as well as video and messaging capabilities
- Messaging – Robust messaging solutions to increase productivity and improve accessibility
Mitel sees telecommunications as a business investment leading to ongoing performance and productivity, not a one-off telephone system purchase.
Their focus is on understanding the needs of each business, and then ensuring that their business solutions are tailored to fit those needs.
Mitel Phone Product RangeAs a leader in the telecoms industry Mitel offer different types of phone systems depending on your business needs. Below we have put together the options offered by Mitel as well as looking at specific handset models currently available and their specifications.
- Business desk phones – Digital, IP, SIP and Wireless desk phones
- Contact Center phone systems – MiContact Center range, Cloud Contact Center
- Collaboration phone systems – MiCollab range for audio, video and web conferencing
- Unified Communications phone systems – MiVoice Office and Business ranges
Mitel MiVoice Office – A communications console that connects employees from multiple locations onto a single platform
MiContact Center Office/Business/Enterprise – Telephony communications for call centers
The Mitel 8000 Series
Digital phones operate in much the same way as traditional analogue desk phones, but with improved signal clarity and general ease of installation and use.
Mitel MiVoice 8528 Business Desk Phone
Mitel MiVoice 8528
As businesses develop and grow, their telephone systems need to be equally robust. The Mitel MiVoice 8528 is the perfect digital desk phone for businesses that require world class call processing capabilities, without incurring monumental costs
The Mitel MiVoice 8528 telephone has all the connectivity and call management features that one would expect from a digital phone, including:
- A six line x 16 character alpha-numeric display
- Programmable multi-function keys
- Hard function keys (mute, speaker, volume control, redial, hold, etc)
- Voicemail notification
- Conference, emergency, and intercom calling
- Hands free operations
- Hearing aid compatible handsets
- Easily customisable ‘do-not-disturb’ and out of office messaging
Mitel MiVoice 8528 Telephone also has advanced capabilities that make it simple for businesses to personalise the ways in which they communicate. These features allow users to:
- Enable background music
- Set ringtones
- Use automatic call answer
- Program feature buttons
- Modify language settings
- Use Record-a-Call function for quality control purposes
- Access remote access features
- Return the phone to default settings
Next Steps – To find out more about whether the Mitel MiVoice 8528 digital desk phone is the best choice for your business phone system, as well as price information, simply fill out the form at the top of the page to receive quotes from up to four top suppliers.
Mitel MiVoice 8568 Business Desk Phone
Mitel MiVoice 8568
The Mitel MiVoice 8568 digital desk phone has a number of features that helps businesses ensure that communications between employees and customers are streamlined and efficient. With a large display screen the MiVoice 8568 increases the speed at which many everyday tasks can be carried out.
The Mitel MiVoice 8568 digital desk phone is another cost-effective but powerful solution for small to medium businesses.
- Six line x 16 character alphanumeric display, with 8 menu driven, and context sensitive keys
- Programmable multi-function keys with LED indicators
- Hearing Aid Compatible handset
- Call logging up to 20 entries
- Hands Free operations and dedicated headset jack
- Hard function keys (mute, speaker, volume control, directory, redial, hold, transfer)
- Message handling and voicemail notification
- Speed, intercom and emergency dialing
The Mitel MiVoice 8568 also has advanced features which make it more customisable, and flexible to suit specific business needs:
- Volume levels for speaker, ringer, hand/headset can be set to separate levels
- Personalised ringtone and background music
- Language preferences can be changed
- Returning the phone to default settings
- Programmable feature buttons
- Remote access features
- Record-A-Call for quality control and monitoring
- Enabled Automatic Call Answer and Paging
Mitel IP Phones – The 5300 & 5500 Series
Mitel MiVoice 5304 IP Desk Phone Review
Mitel MiVoice 5304
This is an ideal VoIP telephone solution for entry level businesses that have a small footprint (e.g. restaurant, guest house, school), but nevertheless require efficient professional business solutions that maximise capabilities and reduce costs.
The 5304 IP Phone is an entry level and cost effective display phone, and has been specifically designed for small businesses with limited needs.
- Two line x 20 character backlit display (with auto dimming)
- Two lines with LED indication
- Eight programmable keys (speed dial, conferencing, voicemail etc)
- Teleworker support allows for employee mobility
- Energy efficient and reduced power consumption
- Incoming call, and call waiting indicators
- Capability to send and receive pages
- Adjustable volume and ringer controls
- Multiple powering options
- Supported on Mitel MiVoice Business, and Mitel MiVoice Office platforms
Mitel MiVoice 5312 IP Desk Phone
Mitel MiVoice 5312
This business phone is a step up from the 5304 and is designed for users such as teleworkers, sales agents, customer service staff, and IT support personnel that need equally robust telephony capabilities.
The 5312 IP phone is user friendly; easily programmed and customised; and provides intuitive user access to sophisticated call handling, while smoothly integrating a host of features into business operations.
When used in conjunction with Mitel Unified Communicator Express (UCX) or Mitel MiCollab Client, the 5312 IP phone becomes more powerful, and communication between people and businesses more streamlined.
- Two line x 20 character backlit graphics display with contrast control and auto dimming
- Eight function keys: hold, menu, message, speaker, mute, transfer/conference, redial, and cancel
- Twelve programmable multi function keys
- Call forwarding, hold, and transfer
- Center panel is customisable
- Browser-based desktop tool programming to easily access system features
- Agent support for automatic call distribution (ACD)
- Supports Chinese characters
- Energy efficient (designed for power saving)
- Handset is hearing-aid compatible
Mitel MiVoice 5324 IP Desk Phone
Mitel MiVoice 5324
Business managers, professionals, teleworkers, customer care and help desk agents, as well as users who need telephony solutions capable of adapting to changing needs will benefit the most from the Mitel 5324 IP phone. This dual mode enterprise-class phone is a feature rich, multi-line IP speakerphone with full duplex hands free operations.
It’s a powerful tool that streamlines communications leading to improved productivity, enhanced customer service, reduced costs and improved business integration.
Furthermore, users benefit from superb call handling, programmable access to advanced voice communications and IP based applications.
- Two-line by 20-character graphics display with contrast control and auto-dimming
- Browser-based desktop user tool programming (for easy access to telephone system features)
- 24 Programmable multi-function keys with dual-color
- Two-position, 35-degree tilting stand (for better viewing angle)
- Call forwarding, hold, and transfer
- On-hook dialing capability
- Eight function keys: hold, menu, message, speaker, mute, transfer / conference, redial, cancel
- LED indicators (for speed dialing, and to easily access features)
- Voicemail access – large message waiting lamp
- Context-sensitive softkeys
- Hearing aid compatible handset
- Conference calling
Mitel MiVoice 5330 IP Desk Phone Review
Mitel MiVoice 5330
The 5330 provides users with real-time access to applications and services (e.g. web browsing, contact lists, call history logs), and has a wide range of customisable settings. In addition, HTML applications can be developed to run without an external server, thereby providing cost effective solutions for a wide variety of business needs.
Ideal for managers and business executives, the 5330 IP phone is also suitable as a supervisor phone, as well as for teleworkers to access office features from home.
Add-on applications include Mitel Intelligent Directory (an advanced phonebook), and Mitel Live Content Suite which allows users to turn the 5330 into a media tool and use Live Blogger, Live Flickr, and Live Twitter.
- Large backlit graphics display with auto dimming
- 24 Programmable, multi-function, self-labeling keys (for speed dialing, line appearances, feature access)
- Context-sensitive softkeys
- Browser-based Desktop Tool (for easy user programming and key labeling)
- Energy efficient and supports power saving
- Call information
- 12 fixed function keys (hold, settings, message, speaker, mute, transfer / Conference, redial, cancel)
- Supports multiple languages (English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch)
- Handsfree speakerphone operation (full duplex)
- HTML Desktop Toolkit
- Wideband Audio Support
- Visual voicemail
Mitel MiVoice 5540 IP Console Review
Mitel MiVoice 5540 IP Console
The MiVoice 5540 IP Console is Mitel’s an economical telephony solution for small and medium-sized businesses, departmental administrative assistants, and hospitality enterprises.
It can be used as an attendant console, a sub-attendant position for departments or workgroups, or as a back-up answering position.
Includes screen based call status and call handling prompts; real-time busy lamp field status; as well as advanced features providing accurate message taking as well as user messaging enhancements such as Instant Messages, making this the perfect system to improve console attendant efficiency.
- Highly visible, four-line, 80-character, backlit, tilt display shows date, time, call status information, calling line identification, and call waiting
- 14 fixed function keys dedicated to basic and enhanced call-handling activities
- 10 softkeys that control access to the attendant features
- Two integrated headset / handset jacks
- Third-party cordless headset integrated functions include: call answer, call cancel, audio controls, and training mode support
- Mitel hospitality features (room status, guest telephony privileges, and automatic wake-up calls, guest check-in / check-out reports)
- Supports multiple languages for global customers
- Record-a-Call functionality for quality control
Mitel MiVoice 5360 IP Desk Phone Review
Mitel MiVoice 5360
The 5360 represents the high end of the Mitel IP Phone range, with a colour touch screen display for easy access to functions, contacts and applications. Gadget Sidebar for one-touch access to embedded applications such as call history; visual voice mail; call forwarding; and conference applications.
Easy-to-use, and one-touch access to the phone’s features and applications makes this highly suitable for general businesses, as well as across multiple vertical market sectors.
- Seven-inch backlit, high-resolution colour touch-screen display with brightness controls
- Touch-screen access to features and applications
- Colourized display content and applications to improve visibility and usability
- 48 programmable, multi-function, self-labeling keys
- Six context-sensitive soft keys for intuitive access to features and functionality
- Gadget Sidebar (patent pending) provides one-touch access to embedded applications
- Wideband audio (for superior sound)
- Embedded Applications (people, visual voicemail, call history, call forwarding, conference unit controller, settings, cordless controller)
- HTML Desktop Toolkit support for applications development
- Supported on the Mitel MiVoice Business (formerly Mitel Communications Director (MCD)
- Reduces power consumption for overall energy savings
- Intel® VxWorks operating system allowing a flexible development environment for future feature enhancements
- Multiple language settings
- 10 fixed-function hard keys
Mitel MiVoice 5505 IP Guest Phone Review
Mitel MiVoice 5505
For businesses in the tourism and hospitality industry, the MiVoice 5505 Guest IP Phone is the ideal solution for users who need to deploy IP phones to guest rooms. Specifically designed for hotels and guest houses, the MiVoice 5505 provides guests with superior communication capabilities straight to their rooms.
The 5505 is user friendly and easy for guests to program to suit their personal requirements during their stay – adding value and the ‘attention to detail’ bonus points that guests love.
Business productivity of receptionists and other front of house staff increases as employees are freed from mundane and time consuming tasks such as taking/delivering messages and setting guest ‘wake-up’ calls.
- Guest-programmable options include alarm clock, phonebook, customizable ringer volume, choice of ringer melodies, and language selection
- Supports up to three extension handsets for guests with a suite of rooms
- Full duplex speakerphone with On-Hook Dialing support
- Mitel MiVoice Business Resiliency – guests can still make calls upon failover to secondary controller
- Six fixed feature keys: Volume up / down rocker, speakerphone, microphone mute, messages, end call, handset locator
- Message waiting indication via phone display
- Nine fixed keys (talk, hang-up / power, messages, volume control, speakerphone, Soft Key 1 and 2, mute, flash)
- 12-button dial pad
Mitel DECT Wireless IP Phones – the 5600 Series
Mitel MiVoice 5610 DECT Handset
Mitel MiVoice 5610
Mitel is a leader in digital communication, and have a range of VoIP accessories that further enhance the user experience and increase productivity. The Mitel MiVoice 5610 DECT Handset and Mitel MiVoice IP DECT Stand is one such accessory.
The 5610 DECT Handset is a cordless phone supported by an IP DECT stand – an invaluable tool for business environments (from hospitality to film production) where employees are often away from their desks. In addition, it provides the convenience of a cordless phone but doesn’t compromise on functionality.
Other than the convenience and mobility (limited to specific radius) that this unique accessory offers, there are additional features built-in to suit businesses of all sizes:
- Vibrant, colour illuminated display
- Operating time of 8 x talk hours / 240 x standby hours
- Speakerphone, adjustable volume, and silent mode capabilities
- Menu options for contacts, settings, messages, and call logs
- Multiple language support
- Enhanced messaging (missed calls, personalised voicemail, message waiting indicator)
- Supports conferencing, call waiting, and call transfer
- Call log displays up to 30 call entries (all, missed, incoming, and outgoing)
IP DECT Stand Features
- Supports up to 8 handsets and 3 simultaneous calls
- DECT based design allows for higher voice transmission quality
- Supported on both MiVoice Business and MiVoice Office
- Retail prices can range from £222 - £315 depending on location and/or promotional offers.
Mitel MiVoice Conference Phone Review
16 in-built microphones and superior audio quality. Can be connected to laptop, tablet, USB, or smartphone for seamless sharing and collaboration.
The MiVoice Conference Phone is designed for businesses of every size, provides high-quality sound for multi-party conferences and embedded collaboration services that can be used to access and view presentations or documents located on personal mobile devices.
- High-definition audio (for superior sound quality)
- Built-in, high-resolution, seven-inch color multi-touch display ( to accessing call handling and presentation functions)
- In-room presentation display capability (to connect the device to a high-definition)
- LCD display or projector
- Embedded Picsel Smart Office suite (allows users to view/modify PowerPoint, Word, Excel and PDF files mid-meeting)
- Access to cloud-enabled services, such as, Google Docs and Dropbox
- Remote Desktop Protocol capabilities ( for users to access a remote PC from the device for visual collaboration)
- An embedded Web browser (allows users access to Gmail, Google Contacts, MS Exchange Web and Web presentation services)
- Desktop linking
- USB port
- 16 microphones situated around the device allow clear, 360-degree sound pickup from up to 12 feet away.
- Automatically locates the prime speaker in the room, reduces the noise from the other microphones and provides visual indication of the active microphone beam to users in the room.
Mitel MiVoice Video Conference Phone Overview
For modern business communication, video is becoming an ever more present and important aspect of day-to-day meetings. This model is Mitel’s solution for conference phone meetings with adidtional video capabilities, allowing audio conferences to be turned into full virtual meetings.
Suitable for the personal office, small business, and growing enterprise, the Mitel MiVoice Video Conference Phone is a multimedia collaboration hub that provides users with a range of capabilities, such as audio conferencing, in-room presentation display, multiparty audio & video conferencing and remote collaboration.
In addition, it’s a multimedia rich tool capable of streaming content located on the web (e.g. YouTube videos), corporate hard drive, or presentation to remote participants.
- High Definition Audio (22khz)
- An embedded web browser ( provides access to web-based services, such as Gmail, Google Contacts, MS Exchange Web and web presentation services)
- A built-in high-resolution, seven-inch colour multi touch display (to access call handling, video conferencing and presentation functions)
- In-room presentation display capabilities for traditional meeting space use
- Embedded Picsel Smart Office Suite (enables the ability to view / modify PowerPoint®, Word, Excel®, and PDF files)
- Access to cloud-enabled services, such as, Google Docs and Dropbox
- Remote Desktop capabilities (users can access a remote PC from the appliance for visual collaboration)
- Automatic Video Call
Mitel Business Phone System Platforms
As a provider of innovative business communication systems, Mitel enables companies to extend their system outside of the office, meaning that remote and roaming employees remain plugged in to the office communication infrastructure, and can collaborate with colleagues or clients straight from their mobile devices without incurring huge costs.
Mitel MiVoice Business Review
By capitalizing on the latest in Internet technologies and digital innovation when it comes to business telecommunications solutions, IP phones, consoles, conferencing units, and peripherals, Mitel MiVoice Business is able to offer businesses integrated services and products that reduce costs, maximize productivity, and make communication faster, clearer and cheaper.
A flexible, easy-to-manage-and-implement platform designed to meet the needs of businesses from 5 users to many thousands of users. It has a number of built-in core UCC applications such as dynamic extension, hot desking, and unified messaging.
The Unified Communications and Collaboration functionalities have a range of benefits that enable businesses to be more agile, flexible, mobile, and manage their client relationships.
- Dynamic Extension: Businesses are able to group multiple devices under the same user number, so that their callers can reach the relevant contact regardless of the number they call.
- Hot Desking: Employees have the freedom to log onto any designated phone, located at any user office, and have their callers reach them there, just by dialing their extension.
- Contact Center: Helps businesses deliver customer support and services 24/7
- Mobility: Employees can have the same ‘in office’ communications experience from anywhere, and freedom to communicate without the burden of escalating mobile phone costs
- Business Continuity via resiliency and reliability in the event of network or hardware failure
- Unified Messaging: Users have integrated access to fully featured voice mail system
Regardless of the size and reach of the business, Mitel MiVoice Business understands that businesses have varying needs (including ergonomic and aesthetic ones), and tailor make their solutions to suit those needs.