There are many reasons why you might wish to choose steel as the primary material for your new building.
Yet some people assume it may be either expensive or less than aesthetically pleasing. Neither of these things needs to be the case.
Steel has played a large part in many forms of building construction and over a long period of time.
Traditionally associated with structural components such as beams and pillars, steel has a huge number of advantages including its strength and structural integrity.
However, more recently rolled steel has also begun to be used extensively as a material for the cladding and exterior structure of buildings. This offers huge advantages over some other forms of other conventional materials, as it makes the building:
- Very resistant to the corrosion and weather-related deterioration that may be relatively commonplace with other building materials. If the word rust springs to mind, then it is worth remembering that modern galvanised steel or that which is otherwise protected is extremely rust resistant.
- Comparatively low maintenance in terms of cost and also maintenance is easy to achieve.
- Quickly erectable.
- Typically easy to configure to support the requirements of modern water, gas, electrical and information technology systems.
- Relatively highly-resistant to fire hazards.
- Equally, relatively secure - providing associated security doors, windows and locks are installed.
- Possibly cost-attractive when compared to other forms of building material.
At one time, steel buildings were normally associated with structures such as garages, warehouses, storage units and perhaps commercial or industrial applications. However, today much more imaginative and comprehensive use is being made of steel as a building material, including its use for offices and even accommodation in some cases.
Other examples of modern day use might include hangars, riding centre stables, agricultural units and so on.
In days when budgets are tight and risks need to be managed downwards, steel buildings might offer many businesses the opportunity to significantly expand their premises on a very cost-effective basis.
Of course, some people may comment on the ascetics of steel buildings but in practice, modern cladding and related decorative systems mean that steel buildings can be easily made to look attractive and even as if they have been constructed in another material altogether.