Founded in 1991 as NOVA Information Systems, Elavon is a payment service provider for merchants, specialising in the following vertical markets:
- Hospitality and entertainment
- Public Sector and Education
Elavon’s mission is to make payment processing simple. It has more than 1 million customers and processes 3 billion transactions per year. The route to market is via resellers: customers deal with resellers directly.
|Elavon Merchant Account Review||Rating|
|Ease of Use|
|Help & Support|
|Reviewed by Expert Market:||28/06/2017|
Products and Services
Elavon offers a range of services for small businesses and global enterprises.
Small business solutions include:
- Card payment terminals
- Virtual terminals
- Mobile payments
- Fanfare customer loyalty programme to redeem offers
Enterprise solutions include:
- International Processing Platform and global payment solutions
- Secure payment gateway
|PDQ machines||Card reader which aceepts most major credit cards and offers dynamic currency conversion|
|MobileMerchant||Mobile payment solution with native app and mobile bluetooth card reader|
|Virtual terminal||Solution for taking phone payments which supports recurring payments|
Face To Face Card Processing
Elavon uses resellers to provide payment services to merchants by leasing terminals and charging transaction fees. Contracts are for four years.
- Dynamic currency conversion (support for 48 different currencies)
- 24×7 customer service, 365 days a year
- Online reporting with iMerchantConnect
- Funds cleared in 3 working days
- Electronic gift cards available
Prices start at £12.50 a month for fixed terminals or £17.50 for mobile terminals plus transaction fees. Monthly fees can be higher depending on the contract offered by the reseller (£30 per month on average).
Elavon supports mobile payments via their own free app, MobileMerchant.
The app works with payment gateways Authorize.net and Zoomgate to process card transactions with a smartphone. This solution can be used in addition to an existing virtual terminal.
Card information can be either keyed-in manually or swiped using a chip & PIN card reader (manual inputting attracts higher transaction fees). This can be a good solution to take payments at peak seasons without the need to invest in additional infrastructure. Funds are cleared within 48 hours.
2.95% transaction fees, £25 one-time set up fee, card reader (Thyron PIN Pad) rental £10 + VAT per month or £99 rental upfront, no extra fees. There’s no minimum transaction volume required.
Elavon’s virtual terminal is called VirtualMerchant and is a hosted solution for face-to-face, mobile, telephone/call centre or e-commerce sales.
- Allows to take payments on the go
- A cheaper alternative to card terminals
- Recurring and instalment payments are supported
- The solution can also be integrated with the customer’s website for a more seamless customer experience
- Fraud mitigation is built-in
- Access management feature attributes specific user rights to prevent unauthorised users from accessing VirtualMerchant
Customer experiences tend to vary according to the reseller they deal with. Most common complaints are about poor customer service and the high cancellation fees, with further issues when terminating contracts (ie, returning terminals, cancelling direct debit instructions). Elavon must have taken these issues into consideration as the current Terms and Conditions do not include early termination fees.
Elavon is a well-established payment processing provider with a strong reputation. Customer experience may vary according to how the individual resellers manage the relationship. Elavon solutions are reasonably priced.